Sunday, November 15, 2009

User Review: The Oscillation Overthruster - a Prototype














At first glance this pedal appears to be a stage prop from a 1950’s sci-fi movie. Just picture some nerdy college geeks hunched over some boxy equipment with knobs and an oscilloscope as they try to repel the monster which is smashing through Philadelphia and the National Guard by emanating a sonic onslaught through standard hi-fi speakers. This is that box…with a delightful glitter blue paintjob. There are so many knobs and possibilities I feel initial guilt about messing up someone’s lab experiment if I touch anything. But how can anyone resist tweaking? I couldn’t. There are 7 different controls not including on and off: Ramp, Gain, Speed, Fine, Smooth, Depth, and Space. Seriously…haven’t we all been on the lookout for some means of controlling Depth and Space? From a user stand-point, all these knobs control pretty much what you’d expect.

The control over the output is exceptional and I was not overwhelmed at all by the amount tweaking required to find my sound. By comparison, my BOSS TR-2 tremolo pedal has the standard Rate, Depth , and Wave control and works great…But it will be hard to go back after the fine tuning I was able to control on the Oscillation Overthruster. And my favorite feature on this pedal = gain! Where the Boss pedal usual steps down the output, the O-O makes it all crazy. Another thing that makes you feel like ground control for Mercury era NASA is the super bright LED which matches the speed and intensity of the signal you select. For now, this pedal is clearly a prototype. And the manufacturer makes no claims to its future production model specs. However I will have a hard time “remembering” to return it.

Bonnie = Killer control and over-the-top output will make you sound like Dwayne Eddie played by Joey Santiago.
Clyde = I’m not seeing this pedal anywhere in stores or on-line. Not sure what “Ramp” is doing for me.

4 comments:

Side Burns said...

Iron & Wine uses something similar to this.

Andersert said...

That's the first thing I would customize my banjo sound with = lots of tremolo!

Anonymous said...

I wish not agree on it. I assume polite post. Especially the title attracted me to study the intact story.

Anonymous said...

Good post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.