Wednesday, November 25, 2009

User Review: The Bass Fuzz Pedal



User Review – Bass Fuzz Pedal

Donut Industries has again generously offered me the use of a prototype pedal for select spokesmen tracks. This pedal is straight up distortion under the heavy influence of fuzz. The controls are Fuzz, Gate, EQ, and Level. When fully cranked the fuzz made me feel a little nervous, like standing too close to a large electrical sub-station. It’s a much more satisfactory sound for a bass than typical distortion if you want a nice synthetic sound that’s distinguishable through the mix. After experimenting with some recorded tracks I was pleasantly surprised to hear some uncompromised round bass tones still present without post processing the EQ. The level output offers enough buzz to rattle your teeth if necessary and EQ is straightforward enough. The mystery knob for me on this pedal was Gate. From my understanding this is acting in part as a limiter for the distortion. But it also will mute any sounds that drop below a certain level when fully open. I’ve heard this is awesome for funk…but it might not be where I’m at with post-punk-surf tendencies. If you aren’t playing full throttle all the time you get a little bit clipped off your notes. There was no problem tweaking the gate to achieve my goals, but I think it will warrant my further experimentation. As far as packaging, there was some modest apologies given as to the labeling and knobs attached. However, aside from the first pass label-maker text (I liked the font and layout) I thought the design was superb especially the huge knob for fuzz, ‘cause that’s what we came for!

Lennon – Solid fuzz without losing all resemblance to bass. Great output…good possibilities for regular guitar as well. Incredibly bright violet LED!

Ono-Gate control takes some getting used to and could be more of niche style playing with the clipped attack.

2 comments:

Side Burns said...

You should have named it Bellybutton Fuzz. You know, after the lint that grows in there.

Side Burns said...

In all honesty though, this is a thing of visual beauty.